If you have an intact bitch you may have to deal with messy discharges when she’s in season. We Used female dog in heat diapers with our Springer Spaniel before she was spayed. They helped us keep the floors and furniture clean.
We reviewed 14 canine hygiene products to help find the best option for your little lady when she’s in estrus.
Before we look at our findings, let’s talk about heat in our four-footed pals:
Our Top Picks:
Disposable Dog Diapers
Bodhi Dog Disposable Female Diapers
OUT! Disposable Female Dog Diapers
Vet's Best Comfort Fit Dog Diapers
Pet Soft Disposable Female Dog Diaper
Washable Dog Diapers
Pet Magasin Reusable Washable Dog Diapers
Paw Legend Reusable Female Dog Diapers
Vet's Best Perfect Fit Washable Female Dog Diaper
Heat in Female Dogs
- Swollen vulva
- More frequent urination
- Behavior changes – acting more alert, distracted, or nervous
- Vaginal discharge – pink to bloody or straw-colored
- Increased licking of the genital areas
- Receptivity to males
How Long Does a Dog in Heat Bleed?
The length of bleeding during heat can vary between bitches. In most cases, the bloody discharge thins out and becomes pink or straw-colored as your furbaby approaches her most fertile period. An emission can continue throughout the heat in some dogs, but it will stop at the end of estrus.
The main benefit of diapers, as with menstrual pads for women, is sanitary. The garment should:
- Absorb the blood and any other discharges so that it doesn’t get all over your pup’s hair and the environment.
- Eliminate the need for your girl to lick her genitals.
- You may wonder if the product also serves a contraceptive function. While the diaper covers Fifi’s genitals, it will not necessarily prevent a male from mating with your furbaby.
How Can I Choose the Best Diaper for My Dog in Heat?
As you evaluate diapers for your girl, there are a few things you need to consider:
There are two types of dog diapers that you can select for your pup, washable or disposable:
- Washable or reusable diapers are cloth products that you can wash and reuse. If you don’t plan to spay your pooch, these diapers could provide long-term savings. They tend to be more breathable than disposable varieties, but they can be a pain to clean.
- Disposable diapers are one-use products. When you change to a fresh garment, you throw the used one away. They come in handy for short-term or occasional use such as you have with a female dog in heat. These garments usually don’t breathe as well, and your pup could develop skin irritations with continued use.
Diapers for female dogs are like pants or briefs. They come in different sizes based on your pooch’s weight and waist size. While she’s standing, measure your pal’s girth a few inches in front of the hind legs. Check the manufacturer’s specifications to pick the best fit.
Doggie diapers come with or without a tail hole. If you have a pup with a stubby tail like a Corgi or a French Bulldog, you’ll probably want a product without the opening to prevent leakage.
Sizes cover a range of weights and girths. You’ll want a diaper that’s easy to adjust so that you can get the best fit for your sweet girl.
Some diapers use an adhesive attachment, while others use an eye and hook/velcro option. There are trade-offs to both. Often an adhesive can catch on the hair or skin and may be irritating. Velcro tends to be more fur-friendly and can allow for re-adjusting the fit.
What Are the Potential Problems With Heat Pants?
It’s important to carefully select a doggie diaper based on your pal’s needs. If you choose the wrong product, she could experience:
- Chafing from non-breathable or harsh fabrics
- Skin rashes if the material doesn’t adequately absorb your girl’s discharge
- Discomfort from an elastic that’s too tight
4 Ways to Calm Down a Female Dog in Heat
When your bitch is in heat, she’s likely to act differently. She may seem nervous or more agitated. It’s important to remember that this is a natural response to hormonal changes in her body. There are some things you can do to help calm your furbaby down:
- Increase her exercise – By providing extra physical stimulation, you’ll help your girl burn off nervous energy and sleep better. Sleeping more can help reduce anxiety because your pup will have less time to get worked up.
- Provide mental stimulation – Another way to get your pal’s mind off her condition is to offer her interactive toys. Mental stimulation can help tire your pooch and prevent boredom.
- Provide a calm environment – The last thing a nervous dog needs is chaos. While your girl’s in heat, avoid loud music and other disruptions. Try making her bedding more inviting and comfortable with a soft blanket or new toy. Let her rest as much as she wants.
- Offer her more attention – Your girl may crave reassurance from you. If your pooch likes to cuddle, give her extra time. Take time to stroke her fur and speak calmly to her.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you remove the diapers and put them back on again?
The diapers we reviewed all use a velcro closure that allows you to remove and reattach the pants. This allows you to readjust the fit without destroying the product. With velcro, you can also take the diaper off to let your girl go potty then put it back on if it’s still clean.
How do I keep the diaper from slipping off my dog’s butt?
Depending on the diaper, you may be able to tighten elastic bands for a more snug fit. Slippage is a common problem for many dogs. One way to solve this issue is to purchase a set of diaper suspenders. These products will connect the pants to your pal’s collar to hold them in place.
How do I know which size to get?
Refer to the individual manufacturer guidelines for size measurements. The best way to measure a diaper is by the waist size. Use a flexible tape measure to calculate your girl’s girth and compare it to the product recommendations to find the best fit.
How many diapers will a female usually need during her heat?
The number of diapers that your pooch needs will depend on how much discharge she has and how frequently you change diapers. For some pups, a heat will last 2-4 weeks. If you have a dog with a heavy discharge and longer heat period, get a large pack of diapers.
The Final Analysis
After comparing the above diapers to our criteria, we select Vet’s Best Perfect-Fit Washable Diapers as our Top Pick for female dogs in heat.
With fur-friendly velcro fasteners and adjustable elastic bands for the girth and legs, these pants have multiple adjustment points for a snug and comfortable fit. Because this product has an optional, cut-out tail hole, you can use it with any breed.
The materials include absorptive and breathable inner layers and a leak-proof barrier to keep both your pooch and the environment clean and dry. The absorptive capacity is sufficient for a female dog in heat.
The overall combination of features in the Vet’s Best washable product makes it our choice for the best female dog in heat diapers.