My Dog Ate Soap and Seems Fine – What Should I Do?

Key Takeaways: If you’ve ever tasted soap by accident, you may wonder how your beloved canine could ever ingest a bar of Ivory. But, dogs can eat just about anything. Should you be concerned if your beloved furbaby munches a bar of soap or licks up some liquid soap? Although most bar soap that’s made … Read more

My Dog Ate Grape Jelly. What Should I Do?

Key Takeaways: Grape jelly is a popular staple in many households and pairs well with peanut butter. But is it safe for your pooch? The quick and easy answer to this question is no. Grape jelly is not safe for dogs. All jams and jellies are high in sugar which can cause your pooch to … Read more

My dog ate Tampon and seems fine. What should I do?

Key Takeaways: We all know dogs are not the most discerning of diners and will eat almost anything they shouldn’t. Forget the embarrassment, if your dog eats a tampon, it could be a medical emergency, and you should call your veterinarian for advice.  Think about the function of a tampon, it’s designed to expand in … Read more

My Dog Ate a Bee and Seems Fine – What Should I Do?

Key Takeaways: Your dog usually chases flies and snaps them out of the air. But this time she snagged a bee and has been whimpering. Should you be concerned? Fortunately, unless your pooch has an allergy to bee venom, eating a stinging insect is fairly harmless. Sure,  she’ll have a sore mouth or tongue for … Read more

My dog ate Cocoa Powder and seems fine. What should I do?

Key Takeaways You’re making a delicious hot chocolate and spill some of the cocoa powder, but before you can do anything, your pooch has managed to lick every bit off the floor. Now, what should you do? First thing’s first, call your veterinarian or The Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764 7661 immediately. They will … Read more

My dog ate White Chocolate and seems fine. What should I do?

Key Takeaways You may know that dogs shouldn’t eat dark or milk chocolate due to the high levels of the chemical theobromine. Unlike us humans, dogs can’t metabolize this chemical; chocolate also contains caffeine, so it’s doubly problematic for our pooch friends.  Luckily, white chocolate has significantly less theobromine and caffeine than either milk or … Read more

My Dog Ate Tic Tacs and Seems Fine – What Should I Do?

Key Takeaways: Tic-tacs are convenient and easy to carry in a purse, pocket, or car for a quick breath freshener. But what if your furry friend munches a few of these tasty treats? Are they toxic? Once upon a time, tic-tacs were dangerous for dogs because they contained the sweetener xylitol. Fortunately, the company changed … Read more

My Dog Ate Milk Chocolate and Seems Fine. What Should I Do?

Key Takeaways The toxic ingredient in chocolate is theobromine which dogs can’t metabolize normally. Pancreatitis is also a risk of ingesting chocolate due to its high fat and sugar content. Just 30g milk chocolate/kg body weight puts your pooch at risk of chocolate poisoning. Hallowe’en is almost upon us, and fun-size chocolate candies are all … Read more

My Dog Ate Ham and Seems Fine – What Should I Do?

Key Takeaways: Ham is high in salt and fat, and these ingredients can be toxic or harmful to dogs in high doses. While a few bites of ham are probably safe for your dog, it’s not the healthiest choice for a treat. If your dog eats ham, assess the situation and report your findings to … Read more

My Dog Ate Detergent and Seems Fine – What Should I Do?

Key Takeaways: Certain types of detergents are extremely dangerous for dogs because they cause chemical burns. If your dog ingests detergent, you should determine the type and amount of cleaner and call your veterinarian. There’s no antidote for detergent toxicity, so treatment is supportive and based on the symptoms. Dogs can have a reputation for … Read more

My dog ate Garlic and seems fine. What should I do?

Key Takeaways:  Common clinical signs are gastrointestinal upset, depression, weakness, and dark urine 15g garlic/kg body weight can cause significant changes in blood parameters Some breeds are more susceptible – eg, Akita, Shiba Inu, Japanese Chin, and Korean Jindo Signs of toxicity can take days to appear, depending on how much was ingested Garlic-associated poisoning … Read more

My dog ate Dark Chocolate and seems fine. What should I do?

Key Takeaways Theobromine is the toxic ingredient in chocolate that causes problems for dogs Just 1oz of dark chocolate can be toxic to small and medium-sized pooches Chocolate affects the heart, nervous and gastrointestinal systems and can cause organ failure Chocolate poisoning is rarely fatal, but this is due to rapid treatment, and you should … Read more

My Dog Ate a Rubber Toy and Seems Fine – What Should I Do?

Key Takeaways: Rubber is dangerous for dogs to eat because they can’t digest it. Rubber can cause choking, digestive upset, abdominal infections, or obstructions when dogs eat it. If your dog eats rubber, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. Your kids are playing in the yard with a small bouncy ball they got at the … Read more

My Dog Ate Plastic and Seems Fine – What Should I Do?

Key Takeaways: Dogs cannot digest plastic, but it can damage your dog’s system. Any time your dog eats plastic, you should contact your vet and let them know what happened. Fragments of plastic can cause your dog to choke, create an obstruction, or perforate the bowel. Your dog has been quiet…too quiet. So, you walk … Read more

My Dog Ate Gum and Seems Fine – What Should I Do?

Key Takeaways: Some gums contain xylitol which is highly toxic to dogs.  It may only take 1 piece of gum to poison a small dog. If your dog ate any gum, remove any remaining pieces from his reach and contact your veterinarian immediately. Your daughter has some friends over, and they’re outside playing with the … Read more

My Dog Ate Advil and Seems Fine. What Should I Do?

my dog ate advil Photo by Mike Mozart. jeepersmedia

Key Takeaways Advil (Ibuprofen) is one of the most common human medications causing toxicity in dogs Call your veterinarian as soon as possible if your dog has eaten some Advil (ibuprofen) Just one small dose can cause toxic signs such as gastrointestinal disturbance Advil, a commonly used over-the-counter human medication, contains the active ingredient ibuprofen. … Read more

My dog ate Rat Poison and seems fine. What should I do?

Key Takeaways: Rat poison tends to be seen as a tasty treat by our canine companions, so make sure to keep it well out of reach. 4 broad types of rat poison commercially available in the USA in 2022. Immediately call your veterinarian and the dog Poison Helpline to determine how much your dog has … Read more

My Dog Ate a Corn Cob and Seems Fine – What Should I Do?

Key Takeaways: Corn cobs are dangerous for dogs because they can cause choking or obstructions. If your dog eats any corn cob, you should contact your vet even if you don’t see any concerning signs. There are three reasons that corn cobs are dangerous: they’re not digestible, they’re highly absorbent, and they’re extremely abrasive. You … Read more

My Dog Ate Raisins And Seems Fine – What Should I Do?

Key Takeaways: Raisins are extremely poisonous for some dogs, and one or two can be enough to cause acute renal failure. If you know or suspect that your dog has eaten any raisins, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. Early treatment is key to a favorable prognosis and recovery from raisin poisoning. They’re a delicious … Read more